The Texas summer is almost here, which means it's time to think about exactly how you're going to dress for days and days of 100 degree heat.
One issue many of us professional women face is balancing how to dress for the sizzling sun and the icebox of an office. Moving from one severe environment to the next makes it hard to craft an outfit that's successful in both places.
But there is one piece that will always save the day: the blazer. It's just as easy to throw on-and-off as a simple cardigan, and yet, this jacket does so much more than a cardigan ever could.
It gives you power, structure and presence. It makes you meeting-ready and brings a pop of personality to your work wear. The blazer is the finishing touch any boss lady needs in her wardrobe.
Which is why this week, I'm giving you 12 tips on how to add your blazer to outfits you'll love to wear all summer long.
12. Don't be afraid to stand out with a statement blazer.
Blazers are powerful. Balancing that power with approachability is an easy way to craft a multifaceted personality at work. To do this, try incorporating a bright, light blazer like this coral one I'm wearing.
In addition to building your image, the color will play into the fun of summer.
11. Mix serious with silly by popping your light, bright blazer off of black separates. Add other touches of light, bright accessories/prints to play into the color of the blazer.
10. Match your jewelry to the colors you're wearing. Choose rose gold for pink and red, silver for blue and purple or gold for yellow and orange.
9. Use the pattern of your blazer to pop this year's trend color: white.
8. Pair the blazer with a sleeveless, sheath dress. When you take off the blazer outside, you'll be at the your coolest. When you head inside and throw it on, you'll be your most professional self for any important task or meeting.
7. Mix texture. This will make your outfit more interesting, and it will make you look more interesting.
6. Pair a longer blazer with a shorter dress (not too short though). A just-above-the-knee dress and a hip-length blazer will create ideal proportion making your look appear more stylish and put-together.
5. Don't put away your booties! Pop your booties off your shift dress and blazer combo to put these shoes to good use all summer long.
4. Your go-to blazer is probably a tame color, which means it's the perfect pairing with your most eclectic jewelry. Together, this elements will create a balanced and expressive look.
3. Just like the booties, don't be afraid to bring out your fall blazer during the summer season. Dark colors are authoritative, so blazers in evergreen, burgundy and plum will still hold up at the office during the summer and give your look power.
2. Pair your blazer with a jumpsuit! Jumpsuits are one of my favorite pieces for any office, because they are easy to style, and they are creative and professional. You also have a lot of freedom with the type of blazer you put with them. Add a cropped, long or boyfriend blazer for a look that's on point for summer.
1. Remember, your style is as unique and powerful as you are, so always stay true to it and tell us about it!
Leave a comment below to share with us your favorite way to rock a blazer during the summer. We would love to hear from you!